Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rain


Author's note: I wrote this poem over the weekend during a rain and thunderstorm. The soft pitter-patter of the rain seemed soothing at first, but soon came pouring down hard. I'm still trying to decide if this poem is simply about something tangible like rain, or if it is about something else -- something beyond the text. After I read this poem, I thought it sounded a bit like I was describing the journey of life metaphorically as a rainstorm. I wouldn't say I did this intentionally, but I suppose my ideas and the way I described things in the poem had to come from somewhere. What I did do intentionally is closed form. I never, ever write poems in closed form because they are something that I struggle with a lot and something I don't particularly enjoy. However I decided to face my fear and go ahead with closed formatting for this particular poem. It was a challenge for me because I made sure each stanza had the same amount of lines, each line in each stanza had the same amount of words (first line in each stanza had six words, second line in each stanza had four words, ect.), and that in the first stanza the last word in the second line rhymed with the last word in the last line, in the second stanza the last word in the third line rhymed with the last word in the last line, and in the third stanza the last word in the fourth line rhymed with the last word in the last line. Please comment and let me know what you think.

Pouring its wrath onto all civilization,

Stopping to free no one

All are at risk

Of this booming detonation,

This storm is just barely done



Rain! burdened clouds of mournful grey,

To camouflage my sneaking tears

Earth -- a wet dungeon

Waiting for my arrival,

This storm has just begun



Facing the wet and icy chill,

On equal bearing were we

This rain and myself

Our harsh journey done,

This storm I have won

3 comments:

  1. That was a good poem. Your author's note was very descriptive and I liked how your poem symbolized life. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I love the author's note. You concisely describe the way in which symbolism, and extended metaphor occur within the writing process as a creative element issuing from the subconscious. Jung would be proud of you, as am I. Now, for the poem itself, my first thought is to ask what the storm is. I am left, as a reader, wondering what the storm is in your life. I have little doubt that there is something you are able to identify and speak to this way, but since it is also undoubtedly private, it wouldn't be appropriate to literally ask you to explain. However, it would be well advised to reflect on your own and see what self-discovery occurs from thinking about your own words.
    The closed form is excellent, and I believe it is time for you to read T.S. Eliot (with my help)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love how you were very descriptive in your author's note and how you explained everything out for the reader. I thought that the poem was very descriptive too. I loved your vocabulary and the metaphor that went with your life in it. Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete